Thursday, February 1, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #7


13 things about paprika!


1. Pepper (paprika) is probably the most important vegetable in Serbia and is tightly connected with our folklore. Moreover in old Yugoslavia Serbia (and Macedonia) were almost synonyms for best paprika. I wouldn’t exaggerate if I say that we have some sort of cult of paprika.
2. The largest peppers-fields are on the north of the country but production is too commercialized with all that new technology and doesn’t represents tradition (or cult). More traditional way of growing pepper is on the south of Serbia. Moreover people from the south have nickname paprikari because of that. If you happen to be on the Serbian south at the end of the summer you’ll probably be invited by hosts to refresh yourself (I wrote about our aggressive hospitality) but also to hear eulogy about their paprika. 3. You’ll probably be totally confused by wreaths of paprika that are covering whole front/back yard; house and other objects around the house. 4. Don’t be confused, you’ve just met one very old custom in Serbia. Hand made wreaths of paprika will go in next processing into red pepper powder or chopped pepper etc. however some of those wreaths will be decoration of the house or kitchen (I have one in my ethno corner). It represents sort of mascot of this region. 5. During the winter when there is extra need for vitamin C those wreaths are perfect reservoirs. Naturally dried paprika can be bought in “intact” shape and used in preparing some dishes. Therefore it’s not strange that people from the south are using term red gold for their paprika. 6. What is typical for this region is also Paprikijada (sort of manifestation dedicated to paprika and the etymology of the term lies in the word ‘Olympics’ = in Serbian “Olimpijada”) and it’s also one lovely custom: moba. Moba is custom where all neighbors (and other villagers) are helping one another in doing some big work. And harvest of paprika is one of those. 7. Production is actually quite huge: one wreath is approximately 10-15 kilos and after drying and powdering it’s 1 kilo. After the season one household can produce 1000 kilos of powdered paprika!
8. I’ve mention that paprika has extremely significant place in Serbian folklore, so here are some recipes:

Dried Peppers Stuffed with Rice or with Beans
(this is very common dish during the Lents)
Wash paprika (10 pieces) and leave them in water for a while (30 min). drain off them, pull out seeds and stem pedicels. Half boil rice (250g); onion (3 bulbs) chop on thin pieces and fry on vegetable oil. Drain rice and mix with onion, add salt pepper, chopped leaves of parsley and celery, chopped olives (5 pieces) and red pepper powder. Mix all ingredients and stuff peppers with the mass and put it in greased dish. Bake 30 min.
(if you stuff peppers with beans; beans should be boiled previously, drain and instead of olives put walnuts and mint leaves)

9. Of course when I speak about pepper I cannot skip ajvar! In the early winter we have ajvar fewer: on the streets you can smell the dusky, smoky fragrance of roasting peppers mingled with the scent of fallen leaves. Stalls at neighborhood markets overflow with mounds of peppers, while village vendors lug giant sacks of the red beauties to street corners to tempt passers-by. What an image!
10. In Serbia, ajvar stars as a starter or as a colorful complement to grilled meats and kabobs. Ajvar also does well alongside sturdy grilled fish like salmon or swordfish. You could toss it with spaghetti, adding olives and parmesan for a quick meal. 11. Preparation of ajvar is somewhat difficult (I’m stealing this from wikipedia), as it involves plenty of manual labor, especially for peeling. Traditionally, it is prepared in early autumn, when the bell peppers are most abundant, conserved in glass jars, and consumed throughout the year (although in most households stocks don't last up until spring, when fresh salads start to emerge anyway, so it's usually enjoyed as winter food).
The peppers and eggplants are baked whole on a plate on open fire, plate of a wood stove, or in the oven. Baked peppers must briefly rest in a closed dish, so that they get cooler and the flesh sets apart from the skin. Then, the skin is carefully peeled off and seeds removed. So obtained pepper is ground in a mill or chopped in tiny pieces (this variant is often referred to as pinđur). Finally, the mush is stewed for a couple of hours in large pots, with added sunflower oil and garlic, in order to condense and reduce the water, as well as to enhance later conservation. Salt and optional vinegar are added at the end and the hot mush is poured directly into glass jars which are immediately sealed. 12. The name ajvar comes from Turkish havyar, which means salted roe.
13. And that's it for this week. I hope it was interesting enough. And just for the record:
While I was typing this TT I realized that my mouse pad has lovely photograph of red peppers! LOL

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

::::: Jaci Burton ::::: allie ::::: Susan Helene Gottfried ::::: amy ::::: Osman ::::: nathalie :::::

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things I love most about TT is that I learn something new all the time. Today I've learned all about Paprika. ;-)

A said...

MMM paprika.... great now I'm hungry...thanks lol

Nice TT

I'm up too.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Milan, you never cease to fascinate me. I'd have never expected to hear all this about what I consider an essential spice in my own home!

Happy TT, love!

Milan-zzz said...

Oh Jaci, hardly that’s all about paprika. As a Serb I could talk and write essays and sing poems and make numerous dishes … about paprika until I become read as paprika or transform into one and be dried and eaten … LOL

Thanks for stopping by!

allie thanks for stopping by :)

Susan dear thank you so much. Now when you put some spicy hot powder on your meal you’ll remember me :whistle: LOL

Unknown said...

Thats such a neat post! I love learning a little bit of trivia like that

Anonymous said...

I really really love such posts!
Because i know we can't find all of them together in any other place! It's always better to hear the culture of a country from its citizen or a person who lives there. I noticed that we have some common specialties about pepper. That's cool! That makes me wonder if it is from Ottomanic era or not.
and yes Havyar is a Turkish word ;)
Great list! Great cultural site!

Un saludo!

Nathalie said...

My best friend at highschool was from Yugoslavia, when ever I went to her home, her mother would come to me and give me food. When I'd tell her I wasn't hungry, she'd say: ah, just a little bit...and then she'd give me the fullest plate imaginable :)
I loved the pita she made.
I'm not sure whether she used paprika though, I use it a lot, raw and cooked.

Milan-zzz said...

Thanks all for dropping by :)

Osman I’m sure it’s from Ottoman era; and that influence is not only on food. Do you recognize this words which we are using here: jastuk; joran; jatak (yatak); jorgovan (erguvan); jogurt; jok!; bre! čibuk (chubuk); čelik (chelik); čaršija (charshi); čaršaf (charshaf); kapija (kapi) ... the list is endless...

¡Muchas gracias por venir visitarme!

NathalieYep that’s who we are! There is no “little bit” in our dimension when we have a guest!

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

I love paprika! It started when my mom used to put it all over cottage cheese, and then blossomed from there.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

And ham and melon? Absolutely.